Chicken adobo is a kind of stew. It is one of the most famous cuisines in the Philippines because it originated in this country. Back in the days where Pinoys does not have refrigerators, this dish can last for days, Because it has vinegar and soy sauce. Chicken adobo is very popular because it’s easy to prepare. The taste is just perfect with rice and Filipinos like to eat with rice.
Cooking Chicken Adobo
You can cook chicken adobo in some easy steps. It requires marinating the chicken in some spices to make it more savory. However, when you are a very busy person you can skip that part and start sooking, just make sure that you simmer the chicken more than 30 minutes to let the juice extracts and making it more flavorful.
To begin with, marinate the chicken with soy sauce and garlic. For some an hour of marinating is okay but if you want the flavors to be fully absorbed then you can leave it for 12 hours. You can also add vinegar.
Next is to separate the chicken from marinade and set aside the marinade because you’ll be needing it later. Pan-fry the chicken for 1-2minutes making its crust hard that will withstand the stewing later. Now Pour the marinade into the pot and add water. Let it boil. Once it boils you can add the peppercorn and the bay leaves. The process may take 20-30 minutes, it depends on the chicken that you will use.
A lot of people have their own versions of Chicken adobo, some would want it a little bit sweet. It can adobe served with or without sauce. Yes, without sauce, only the oil of the chicken will remain and the chicken will be tastier. Kids want their adobo sweet and saucy so, you can add sugar, vinegar, and water if you like.
Some TIPS in cooking Chicken Adobo
- Any part of the chicken can be used when cooking chicken adobo,
- Garlic is the secret recipe in adobo it gives flavor to the chicken.
- Onions can be added, you can saute it after the chicken has pan-fried.
- You can add potatoes, making it healthier.
- You can also add boiled eggs making it a little special.
- 2 lbs chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 pieces of dried bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 8 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- Mix the chicken, soy sauce, and garlic in a large bowl. This will be your marinade, you can massage the chicken to absorb the flavor. Leave it for an hour, but as mentioned the longer the better.
- Heat the cooking pot. Put some cooking oil.
- Once the oil is hot you can start pan-frying the marinated chicken. 2 minutes per side.
- Pour the remaining marinade, which includes the garlic and add water. Let it boil.
- Once it boils you can bay leaves and peppercorn. Simmer for 30minutes or until the chicken becomes tender.
- Add some seasoning to taste. Put sugar and salt. Stir and turn the heat off. It’s best to serve hot.