Mishaps in our clothes, shoes, and other fashion pieces happen more often than we like. Things sometimes get too bad that it seems like the only choice is completely getting rid of them. Even if you do find a way to reuse an item, however, it’s really just a waste of money when its purpose cannot be maximized. (image source)
Don’t give up on your favorite jeans or shoes just yet! It’s better to try zero-cost tips than doing nothing, right?
Save yourself the trouble — most importantly money — by using these 18 fashion hacks when the need arises:
- Save your feet from the pain and loosen new shoes in two ways: place a water-filled bag in them and freeze overnight, or wear them with thick socks and apply heat all over the shoes with a hairdryer.
- To avoid ruining the fabric, remove gum from your clothes by cooling it with an ice cube and then flicking it off carefully with a knife.
- Say goodbye to the unpleasant smell in your running shoes by letting some baking soda absorb the odor.
- Remove fuzz balls in your clothes by lightly shaving the surface. Be cautious in applying pressure so that you don’t cut a hole.
- When wearing a racerback shirt, hide your bra straps by connecting them with a paperclip.
- Use a Sharpie to cover bleach stains on black pieces.
- Stop your fly from opening with a small elastic band or key ring.
- If the waist of a pair of jeans rounds perfectly on your neck, it will likely fit your waistline.
- Immediately remove red wine stain on your blouse by dabbing white wine on it.
- Remove stains in leather pieces with cold water and some vinegar.
- Stop a ladder in your tights by applying clear nail varnish on it.
- Preserve color in denim by washing it inside out. You can also remove the odor by putting the denim in a ziplock bag and freezing it overnight.
- Breaking in stiff leather jackets can be done easily. Turn the steam really hot in your shower, step in with the jacket, and allow it to moisten up. Do not bend the arms too much to avoid permanent creases.
- If there’s no steamer around and you need to remove wrinkles on your clothes, lay down a towel and use a curling iron just like you would a hand iron.
- Clean suede pieces by lightly brushing a clean toothbrush over them.
- Free up a stuck zipper by rubbing Vaseline or crayon wax on the teeth.
- Clean gold jewelry with a small amount of beer; use ketchup for silver items.
- Get rid of yellow sweat stains by squirting lemon juice on them before doing the laundry.